Arbeitsblatt 1: Connectors
Task 1: Put the words in brackets in the right places.
Europe is huge. (really) = Europe is really huge.
- The Netherlands is an important member state. It's not very big.(although) =
- Its population is only about 17 million people. (in fact) =
- It’s densely populated. (very / however) =
- The Netherlands is the world's second largest exporter of food and agriculture products (nevertheless) =
- The Netherlands is a founding member of the EU (besides) =
- The country is host to five international courts. (furthermore) =
The Netherlands is a part of the Schengen Area. (also) =
Task 2: Connect the following sentences by choosing a suitable word from the box. Mind the tenses and forms . Finally, translate the sentences.
|because – who – as – after – as a result of – when|
Willem-Alexander practises every day. He is able to run long distances without stopping.
Task 3: Put the jumbled sentences in the right order:
- The we Netherlands are talking about country is the today.
- The low geographically below Netherlands is a very and flat, with about 26% of its area and 21% of its population country located sea level
- are friendly there. people The very
- been constitutional since The 1815 Netherlands has a monarchy
- equipped, The powers limited of position is constitutionally with the monarch.
- consists a significant exports of Dutch agricultural portion fresh-cut plants, flowers, and flower bulbs of
- actually are total two-thirds and flowers The Netherlands exporting of the world's of plants
- All to Netherlands school children 12 in usually the attend elementary from ages 4.
- Education the ages of compulsory in the Netherlands is between 4 and 16.
- The regarded tolerance liberal history has a long of social and is as today a country. Netherlands
Task 1: (more than one possible solution)
- Although he is the tallest boy in class, he doesn’t .....
- In fact, he isn’t interested ....
- Instead, he prefers running (instead).
- (One day) he wants to become a champion one day.
- After all, he’s got the talent. (after all)
- Furthermore, his coach says so.
Besides, he has already won a ....
( several solutions possible)
Because W-A. practises every day, he is able to ...
W-A., who practises every day, is able to ..
As he practises every day, W-A. is able to ..
After having practised every day, W-A. is able to ...
As a result of practising every day, W-A. is able to ...
When W-A. practises every day, he will be able to...
- The country we are talking about today is the Netherlands.
- The Netherlands is geographically a very low and flat country, with about 26% of its area and 21% of its population located below sea level.
- The people there are very friendly (there).
- The Netherlands has been a constitutional monarchy since 1815.
- Constitutionally, the position of the monarch is equipped with limited powers.
- A significant portion of Dutch agricultural exports consists of fresh-cut plants, flowers, and flower bulbs.
- The Netherlands are actually exporting two-thirds of the world's total of plants and flowers.
- All children in the Netherlands usually attend elementary school from ages 4 to 12.
- Education in the Netherlands is compulsory between the ages of 4 and 16.
- The Netherlands has a long history of social tolerance and today is regarded as a liberal country.
Weiter zu: Arbeitsblatt 2 Improving style